Safehomepage.com virus (Removal Guide)
Threat Level: Low-Medium Risk
Safehomepage.com is a search engine that may appear trustworthy; However, you should be very careful when using this website because it may cause browser’s redirections to unknown websites and continuous pop-up notifications. Beware that SafeHome malware, categorized as a browser hijacker also has ability to collect user information including internet browsing habits . If you want to feel safe when searching on the Internet, you should use more reputable engines, such as Google or Yahoo. No matter that Safehomepage.com is not a virus, we don’t recommend using it.
Once malware used to support the Safehomepage.com redirect is installed it begins to change Microsoft Windows Operating System settings, as well as Internet Browser settings including the homepage and default search engine; causing unwanted browser redirections and start ups when users open a new browser window or tab.
Safehomepage malware and associated third-party items may also be the cause unwanted advertisements to appear, including pop-ups, banners, in-text ads, and other forms. Removing third-party items and Safehomepage.com has been reported to stop unwanted advertisements from appearing without user consent.
The Safehomepage hijacker and similar categories of malware raise concerns relating to the invasion of privacy and privacy crimes. If software used to support the Safehomepage.com is installed, the potentially malicious add-on and extension, as well as third-party malware may collect and distribute sensitive user information, including information users manually submit into online forms.
Safehomepage.com can be downloaded from websites such as CNET. However, there are many PC users who claim that it appeared on their computers without consent. That’s because it may also infiltrate your machine in a bundle with freeware and shareware. In fact, this method of distribution is quite popular among such search engines.
If you want to avoid the Safehomepage.com redirect, you should be carefully when isntalling free software found online.
To manually uninstall Safehomepage software and remove the Safehomepage.com Search Engine from your internet browser(s) please follow the instructions below.
1. Navigate to Windows Start Menu and open the Control Panel.
2. Under the Programs section select Uninstall a program.
3. In the list of installed programs locate the Safehomepage item and double click the item to uninstall the Toolbar or highlight the item and click the Uninstall button. You may have to restart your computer.
1. Click the Chrome menu button on the Google Chrome browser, select Tools -> Extensions.
2. In the list of extensions look for the Safehomepage item and other unknown extensions and remove them by clicking on the Trash can icon next to them.
- Open Mozilla Firefox, go Tools -> Add-ons -> Extensions.
- Find the Safehomepage item and similar entries, and click Uninstall.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Open Internet Explorer, go Tools -> Manage Add-ons -> Toolbars and Extensions.
- Here, look for the Safehomepage item and click Remove or Uninstall.
- Click Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
- Find the Safehomepage item or similar entry and click ‘Uninstall’.
How to remove the Safehomepage virus
To automatically remove the Safehomepage item please download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO.
1. Once installed, open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO and navigate to the Scanner tab. Please note, the program will automatically open on this tab.
2. Select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan.
3. Once results are detected click the Show Results button.
4. Select the results to remove and click the Remove Selected button. To select all items right click on an item and select “Check all items.”
5. Restart your computer.